Ruth G. Shaw Scholarship
The Ruth G. Shaw Leadership Program was created through the generosity of Dr. Ruth Shaw, Central Piedmont’s second college president. This unique program aims to connect students to one another and to a supportive network of community mentors, inspire students to assume positions of leadership and to celebrate their individual and collective achievements, nurture student leaders by encouraging and demonstrating critical thinking, intellectual curiosity, and problem-solving strategies, and foster a deeper awareness of the many roles of women in and their contributions to society.
The program is limited to 12 students who will participate in two monthly sessions, held on Fridays — one with Ruth G. Shaw scholar mentors and a separate scholars-only session. In April, students will present their capstone projects, a summary of their program experience. Students chosen for the program should be prepared to arrange their fall and spring classes around Friday program meetings.
Applicants for the Ruth G. Shaw Scholars Program must:
- be enrolled in for-college-credit classes for the entirety of the academic year,
- be able to attend all Ruth G. Shaw Scholar gatherings,
- demonstrate successful progress towards degree (must have completed two semesters of coursework at Central Piedmont Community College before the fall semester for which the student applies),
- have a minimum 2.5 GPA,
- submit a complete application, and
- must identify as female or have demonstrated support for females in the pursuit of a higher education degree, regardless of the sex of the applicant.
- Up to $1,000
- Supplemental Questions
- Please state your age.
- Central Piedmont campus where you primarily attend classes?
- Please note that you may be invited to interview with a scholarship selection committee for this scholarship opportunity.
- Please list any Central Piedmont organization with which you are currently involved.
- Please list any leadership positions that you hold or have held within the past 12 months.
- Please list any community involvement or volunteer work in which you participate regularly.
- Please provide answers to the questions below. Your responses are an important factor in the selection process. Please provide thoughtful consideration as you reply so that the committee can best understand your desire and intent to participate in the Ruth G. Shaw Leadership Program.
- How do you intend to use what you learn in this program in the service of others?
- Please describe what you would like to learn about yourself during this program, and why that is important.
- Please provide an example of a female leader and specific attributes or characteristics of her leadership that you have personally observed.
- What is your personal definition of leadership?
- Why do you want to be a part of the Ruth G. Shaw Leadership Program?
- Faculty/Staff/Advisor Recommendation
- Assumption of Risk I, the undersigned, being over the age of 18 years, do hereby acknowledge that there are risks of physical harm and injury inherent in off-campus activities including, but not limited to, working with people, participating in program-related activities and field trips. As partial consideration of being allowed to participate in this Central Piedmont program, I hereby assume all risks in the travel and related activities and hereby knowingly and intentionally waive any and all claims, or whatsoever kind of nature, against such institutions which may arise out of this activity. I specifically acknowledge that my participation in this program is voluntary. I further state that I am not, in any capacity, an employee of Central Piedmont. I specifically grant this waiver of claims for myself and will indemnify and hold harmless such institutions and individuals from any claims. Central Piedmont promotes a drug-free environment. Absolutely no substances, including tobacco, are permitted during program-related activities. I acknowledge that I have fully read and understand the information presented to me in this application.
- Show 4 more