Opportunity Scholars Program
The Opportunity Scholars Program is a two-year, cohort experience that will support students in obtaining the education and skills needed to earn a career-focused, technical degree, and embark on a pathway to a successful career.
Program participants will be selected from applicants who are recent Mecklenburg County high school graduates with many being graduates from the following Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools high schools—Garinger, Harding, Chambers, West Charlotte, and West Mecklenburg.
Program details include:
- Scholarships will cover the complete cost of attendance—tuition, books, and fees—for the two years required to earn a technical, career-focused degree.
- Students will receive Chromebook laptops to help meet their digital needs.
- Students will participate in Central Piedmont’s Summer Bridge academic enrichment program prior to their first fall semester to help prepare them for college-level work.
- Students will receive the support of an academic coach to help with academic support, course and career path selection, professional development, assistance with career development opportunities, and to identify internships and other workplace learning opportunities
Student selection for the Opportunity Scholars Program will be based upon a student’s demonstrated potential for success, including:
- A minimum high school GPA of 2.6
- A letter of recommendation from a teacher or counselor that describes the academic performance of the applicant as a student
- Attendance in a participating CMS high school (or Sugar Creek Charter School)
- Quality of essay responses on the Opportunity Scholarship application
Potential Opportunity Scholarship recipients must be committed to completing a two-year Associate degree program at Central Piedmont as a full-time student.
- Up to $10,000 over 2 years
- Supplemental Questions
- Are you the first in your family to attend college?
- If you are not a first-generation college student, please select the family members who have graduated from college?
- Summer Bridge is a REQUIREMENT for Opportunity Scholarship students. You will enroll in college classes at Central Piedmont for six weeks in the summer. This helps you successfully transition from high school to college in a closed, structured, and supervised environment. Are you willing and able to participate in June & July?
- The Opportunity Scholarship requires monthly participation in service learning projects, attendance at bi-weekly seminars and check-ins with your academic coaches throughout the semester. Describe how you plan to effectively manage your time and balance your commitments at Central Piedmont successfully.
- Please describe your motivation for attending college.
- You will need to submit a recommendation to apply for the Opportunity Scholarship. Please list the name and email of your recommender.
- Please upload your letter of recommendation (from CP or your High School)
- Please upload a copy of your high school transcript. This can be an official copy or an unofficial copy.
- Show 3 more